Tuesday, May 17, 2011

Showcase Your Library

This week I requested that librarians be added to the agenda for our school board's next meeting. After participating in the SCASL Library Snapshot Day, I compiled our district data and pictures to create a short video about our library program. You can access it here if you can not view the video below. The plan is to show the video, share a few research findings that illustrate the value of school librarians on student achievement and thank our district office and board for their continued support.



My original plan was to write this post after our visit, but after reading this article about a nearby school district cutting librarians I thought maybe I should post this now. The reaction on our state listserv was fearful, until a few of our SCASL leaders reminded us that this is a call for advocacy. Read my SC library heroes thoughts on it here, here and here. They are spot on.

We must showcase our library program to our students, teachers, administrators, parents, and community. Every month I submit reports to my principal and he loves them. I have already started working on my annual report a la Buffy Hamilton. I will share when it is complete.

What are you doing to showcase your library program?

2 comments:

  1. What a great idea! I look forward to reading how you bowl over the school board members :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Definitely keep us updated on the outcome/reaction you get from the school board. And thank you for all you do to advocate for school libraries - yours and ours!

    ReplyDelete