Monday, April 29, 2019

18-19 Literacy Service Projects

This year our book club participated in several literacy service projects.

Our Books and Barbers program gave away hair cut coupons and books for the first day of school. Our Books and Braids with Spearman Elementary went really well. Our students visit the afterschool program students, read to them, and braid hair or paint nails.

For midterms and finals I invited the SC Dog Therapy Group to our school. It was a huge hit and fun stress reliever.

We were so proud to give over 25 bags with new pajamas and a book for students in our area in need. This was our first annual Bedtime Story Pajama Drive. I look forward to doing it again next year.

Tomorrow we're going over to Wren Elementary to visit with a class that we've been reading Wishtree with and discussing on Flipgrid. We're going to plan our own Wishtree and tie our wishes onto the tree together. Here is our fabric scraps ready to go.

After seeing this idea on Twitter, I implemented it in the library. I already had this cart, but I went out and bought things that students frequently ask for like pencils, lint brush, sewing kit, deodorant, socks, band aids, etc. Now they can get what they need without embarrassment.



1 comment:

  1. I hope that this message finds you well. I’d like to introduce myself, as I enjoy connecting with people who work in the same industry. My website, Library Tech Talk, specializes in sharing information on the tons of digital tools for librarians. If you have the opportunity, I hope you’ll check out my blog librarytechtalk.com and let me know what you think.
    Cheers, Barbi Gardiner Library Tech Talk

    ReplyDelete