Monday, December 31, 2012

2013 Trends in Middle Grade Books

I was excited to meet my Goodreads reading goal of 300 books in 2012 and I'm looking forward to many great titles in 2013. I hope to get my students excited about reading in this new year as well.
I saw this fun list from the Scholastic editors that predicts some of the book trends in 2013.  
I thought it would be fun to add more titles to their list and create a bulletin board. I put together these two posters and you are welcome to use them to talk about trends with your students. I tried to find recent or soon to be released titles, but threw in a few older titles that fit the trend perfectly.

2013 slide 12013 slide 2

My Flickr Photostream. I found the font on Urban Fonts. If you are a member of NetGalley you can find many of these titles online.

When we return to school the first visit with my 6th graders will include an introduction to Six Flags Read to Succeed.  I'll be showing them a video clip of a roller coaster ride from the passenger's point of view. You can find several fun choices on Youtube. That should grab their attention. Then we'll talk about the guidelines for the challenge and hand out reading logs. If you have students in 6th grade or lower you can sign up for free.

Enjoy the remainder of your holiday break and I hope you have a wonderful start to 2013.




3 comments:

  1. For a couple years I would make a (not very good) video to kick off the Six Flags Read to Succeed. I'd get a 5th grader who wasn't afraid to act silly, make him wear a bald cap, get mom to help him find/borrow a suit coat and bow tie, and voila! The weird old dancing bald guy that they used to use in their commercials. Even found the music on iTunes. "More Books, More Fun!" he'd say.

    I got lazy/tired/behind this year so no video. I like your idea with the roller coaster!

    ReplyDelete
  2. 300 books. Darn, that's impressive!

    ReplyDelete
  3. All of these are nothing but interesting reads! I'm so happy to hear that you are encouraging your students to read such fine books that would teach them lessons and would entertain them at the same time. Let's hope that more children and adults alike will love and treasure books. Thank you for the list, by the way!
    Shelley @ Y\'all Twins?

    ReplyDelete