Monday, April 15, 2013

Shelf Challenge 2013



I decided to accept the Shelf Challenge issued by Matthew Winner. The area I selected to read was my humor section. It has received a lot of love this year so I wanted to make sure I was familiar with the titles and be better able to assess the needs of that genre. It is so popular that it is hard for me to keep the shelf stocked enough for demand.
Ok, maybe I chose this genre because I knew I could actually finish it and just maybe the shelf is always skimpy because it is super popular, but don't judge. I knew this would be fun though. Where else would you find books about vampire weenies, Elvis impersonators, escaped pet snakes and pooper scooping brothers? (Attack of the Vampire Weenies, All Shook Up, Slippy, and The PS Brothers).
Here are a few of my observations while reading all of the book jackets:
  • the cover of Burger Wuss makes me hungry
  • Origami Yoda and sequels are awesome!
  • I love the Joey Pigza series, but they are not getting checked out much anymore.
  • I want to finish reading Guys Read Funny Business
  • I need more copies of the Wimpy Kid series
  • Rotten Life series by David Lubar is not popular despite the awesome combination of zombies and humor
  • Humor book jacket blurbs are really short
  • I'm glad I purchased the Big Nate series this year because it has been very popular
Here are a few titles that I've ordered recently for this section, special thanks to Mrs. Yingling for her many recommendations.
  1. Charlie Joe Jackson's Guide to Summer Vacation
  2. Dear Dumb Diary series
  3. The Fizzy Whiz Kid
  4. sequels to The Fourth Stall
  5. all of the Middle School the Worst Years of My Life series
  6. I Am A Genius of Unspeakable Evil and I Want to Be Your Class President
  7. I Represent Sean Rosen
  8. The Lunch Lady series
  9. Wonkenstein and Potterwookiee 
The Shelf Challenge was really fun. I look forward to participating again and possibly choosing a larger genre next time. Thank you Matthew for organizing everything!

2 comments:

  1. Good choice! The enjoyable (to me anyway) Rotten Life series inexplicably doesn't get much love at my school either. I couldn't even interest my own son in it! "That's gross." Well, that's the whole point!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I Am A Genius of Unspeakable Evil and I Want to Be Your Class President is an amazing and funny book.

    ReplyDelete