Thursday, April 27, 2017

Camp Readamorra: Summer Reading PD Plans

I have noticed that most professional development sessions that address reading seem to be about dissecting, analyzing, and tearing texts apart. I wanted to put a course together that promoted independent, recreational reading. I also wanted to start building relationships with the teachers at my new school before next year. I thought it would be fun to use a camping theme so Camp Readamorra was born.
I debated between Camp Readamorra and Camp Wannaread. I wanted something cute that conjured up those happy feelings of summer camp, even though my own experiences at camp never met the high expectations from camp movies. I tweeted a poll and it ended in a tie. Internet, you failed me:)
I shared the outline of the tasks with the other librarians in my district and several expressed that their teachers would also be interested. I submitted the course for approval to my district to earn renewal credit and created a Google Classroom for elementary, middle and high school groups.

This is the outline for the course if you would like to adapt and use with your teachers. You can access a copy of the Google Doc here.  From there you could copy and paste the assignments into Google Classroom or another platform you prefer.

I shared a flyer I made using the Canva images above with a short description and the Google Classroom code. By the end of today I already have 8 teachers enrolled from all different content areas. Normally we focus on reaching out to our students and of course, that is essential, but I also believe we need to continue to share the power of reading to our teachers as well. I would love to hear how you're sharing with your teachers.

4 comments:

  1. Hi Tamara, Thanks for sharing this, I love your ideas and the links to great articles. I have been researching reading for pleasure this year, and got a scholarship to travel to the UK. I met with Teresa Cremin who did a study on Teachers as Readers and launched a new website while I was there that you might be interested in - https://researchrichpedagogies.org/research/page/developing-reading-for-pleasure-in-your-school.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you so much for this!! I'm just starting in a high school and I hope you don't mind of I steal this from you!! It's overwhelming and not having to start from scratch right away is such a huge help!

    ReplyDelete