Sunday, March 17, 2013

It's Monday! What Are You Reading? 3/18


I've been busy reading books for our faculty reading challenge and a few just for fun as well.
This week the book that really stood out for me was Fourmile by Watt Key. I loved this book! The perfect mix of dogs, soldiers, action and sports. I know so many boys that I'm going to recommend it to this week. I'm going to order his other books, Alabama Moon and Dirt Road Home. I'm not sure why I didn't know about this author already because his books are great for boys. The books have the outdoor survival drama engrained in the stories. I highly recommend this one for middle school and upper elementary boys.

I've noticed several books lately with dogs on the cover so I think that will be one of the trends shared at our Best of Summer Reading session with our ELA teachers in the Fall. For this session we share the best of the books we read this summer with our teachers so that they can be aware of trends, hear about titles they might want to read and have a few fresh titles to recommend to their students. We did this session last year and created posters showing trends with book covers and gave out as prizes. Dog books will definitely be on our posters this year.
The books I've noticed so far are:

Buddy by M.H. herlong
Shadow by Michael Morpurgo
A Dog Called Homeless by Sarah Lean
Almost Home by Joan Bauer
Saint Louis Armstrong Beach by Brenda Woods

Have you noticed any more recent titles with a dog on the cover? I would love to add to my list.


2 comments:

  1. Finding Zasha by Randi Barrow just came out and its companion book, Saving Zasha which came out about two years ago- These are also great historical fiction.

    ReplyDelete