Monday, January 21, 2013

It's Monday! What Are You Reading? Jan 21st


I just finished The Darkest Minds by Alexandra Bracken. If you liked Shatter Me, then you will like this book. Plenty of action, inner teen turmoil and a little romance. I look forward to reading the sequel and plan to buy a copy for the school library. I have several students in mind that will enjoy this book and there is a great trailer to share on Youtube.

I finished Infestation by Timothy Bradley last night. I first heard of this title from the Scholastic editor's trend list, which I turned into posters. The book is on a lower reading level and full of action and explosions so I know just the kids that will enjoy this. I'm buying a copy for my reluctant readers at school. If you can stomach watching the show,Infested, on Animal Planet, you'll love this. That would make a good tie in when introducing the book to your students.

I read a few professional book this week as well, To Be a Boy, To Be a Reader by William Brozo and How to Get Your Child to Love Reading by Esme Codell. To Be a Boy was worth the time because I've been reading a lot about literacy and male students lately. The other title is a recommended book for parents. The book provided tons of activity ideas to tie in with books. 

Next up: Lawless by Jeffrey Salane, Prisoner B-3087 by Alan Gratz and Lincoln's Grave Robbers by Steve Sheinken. I love you NetGalley. I also have several books on hold at the public library. I'll read whatever gets to my branch first.

2 comments:

  1. Hi, Tamara--Thanks so much for reading INFESTATION! I was glad to see that you understood that I intended it to be targeted directly at reluctant boy readers. I agree with you that boys need a good reason to pick up a book in spite of their reading difficulties, like an irresistible adventure with plenty of action. I thought that the "monster movies" I loved as a kid might serve such a purpose, and that served as the basis for INFESTATION.

    Kudos to you for spotlighting what is a widespread and serious educational issue.
    --Tim

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are so welcome. I'm happy to promote books that I know my kids will enjoy. Thanks to you for your work! And I'm trying to stay calm because an author commented on my blog:)

      Delete