Wednesday, September 13, 2017

Happy Calls: School to Home Connection

I originally read about the daily positive phone call on the Shelf Consumed blog, which is no longer active online. I recently saw a version on Twitter called #goodnewscalloftheday, which I believe might be from the Kids Deserve It folks.
This is a task that I continued to implement with my change of schools. I wasn't sure how high school parents would react, but it has been great.
I try to call 5 parents/guardians per week to brag on a student. It can be for helping me in the library, showing enthusiasm for reading, manners, or anything that catches my attention. This is a great way to be intentional about seeing the good in our students and recognizing the small things.
The reception from parents has been amazing. I think there were even a few tears after the initial fear of receiving a phone call from a school number.
I hope that this practice boosts up my students, puts parents at ease and builds a positive library to home connection with our library program.

Do you make positive phone calls home? What is stopping you? I promise that it only takes a few minutes per week.

No comments:

Post a Comment