Wednesday, September 13, 2017

Teaching APA With a Hyperdoc

I was excited when one of the social studies teachers contacted me about collaborating. The entire school's focus this year is on writing and this teacher wanted to expose her AP Human Geography students to APA. The vast majority of my college courses have used APA so I was happy to help.

I put together a Hyperdoc for the lesson. The link will allow you to make a copy and edit as you please and it looks better than the squished embedded version below.




I created this set of flashcards for the Quizlet Live game and had it pulled up in a tab and ready. On the Hyperdoc above I linked to a copy of the Google Quiz for in text citations so feel free to play along and make your own copy to edit.

You'll need these citations printed on different colors for the citation unscramble stations. At the end of those slides you'll find a picture of the "answer". I put each set of citation pieces and the image of the correct answer in an envelope. As the group moved around they had about 30 seconds to put the citation in order then open the image in the envelope to check their answers.

For their final task they were asked to reflect using Flipgrid. Here is ours. Flipgrid has a free version so I encourage you to try it if you haven't already.


It ended up that the teacher was absent on the day, but we rolled with it with the substitute since the lesson was ready and it went well. Many of the students expressed that they were most nervous about creating citations so I offered to help when they reached that point of their research. This was a fun, engaging lesson. If you have any questions and want to duplicate it, please let me know.

4 comments:

  1. Tamara, I would love to duplicate this. I have lots of students I need to expose to both APA and Chicago, and I need a more entertaining way to do it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved this lesson as an example of the teacher librarian using multimodal literacies to create an engaging, personalized lesson. Your students are lucky to have you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this lesson, too, Tamara. How much time did you allow for students to "explore" in Purdue Owl, and what directions were given as to what to look for?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello, I am a family man and a welcoming neighbor of twelve kids. I thought this lesson was indeed very good. Your students are very lucky to have you.

    ReplyDelete